The Clinical Yoga For Back Pain Course
What is it?
The Clinical Yoga for Back Pain Course is a unique opportunity to spend 6 weeks with an experienced chartered physiotherapist and yoga teacher, learning about your spine, how it moves, why it can sometimes become a problem, and what to do about it.
Our comprehensive and evidence-based course gives you the tools you need to take control of your own back, keep it healthy and strong, and avoid future problems.
We use specific yoga postures and sequences to retrain better movement patterns, encorporating breathing and treatment techniques to improve your spine's mobility, strength and general health.
Each session begins with a short talk on various topics surrounding the spine, providing a chance to ask a profesional your burning questions and gain a deeper understanding. We then move on to an hour long group class. This is a flowing sequence of spine-specific yoga positions (asanas) to develop your mobility, flexibility, strength, control and overall body awareness.
During the course you will also be taught various breathing exercises and self-treatment techniques, allowing you to safely treat your own joints and soft tissues, and regain control over your body.
Course sessions progress gradually over the 6 week period. At the end of the course you will be given the opportunity to progress further with regular weekly classes.
"You're in the hands of a professional"
Who is it for?
The beauty of yoga is that it can be used to benefit people of all ages and abilities. It is certainly not just for the fit and flexible. This class is appropriate for anyone who wants to learn how to maintain a healthy spine on a daily basis.
Research tells us that our spines work best when they are both mobile and strong. With this in mind, the course begins gently, focusing primarily on mobility, and gradually challenges the spine more as the weeks progress.
The course is suitable for all levels but it is important that you are able to get on and off the floor yourself.
If you have sciatica as well as low back pain please chat to us prior to commencing the course. If you have any concerns about your general health, suitability, or would like to know more about the course, please feel free to contact us.
If you feel you have a problem that requires a thorough individual physiotherapy assessment, or you would like a one-to-one yoga session before the course starts, please contact us.
"Fun, empowering and educational"
Why this course?
- As chartered physiotherapists we are experts in assessing, diagnosing, treating and managing back conditions.
- Physiotherapists are a 'chartered' profession, registered with the HCPC, and we base our assessment and treatment on the latest available evidence. Many scientific studies have confirmed that yoga is an effective tool for reducing back pain. This is why it now forms part of the NICE guidelines for back pain management.
- We are qualified yoga teachers and have specifically tailored sessions to focus on improving your spine's mobility, strength, fitness and general health.
- You will have the opportunity to freely ask questions and become an expert in managing your own spine in a relaxed and friendly environment.
"The best course for practical fitness I have ever done... Everyone should do this course!
Week 1 - Spinal mobility focus
Week 2 - Hip mobility focus
Week 3 - Hip strength/control focus & Self treatment upper spine
Week 4 - Core strength/control focus & Self treatment lower spine
Week 5 - Breathing & Relaxation techniques
Week 6 - Combining poses
Week 1 - The spine - Anatomy & biomechanics
Week 2 - What causes back pain?
Week 3 - Movement & yoga
Week 4 - understanding & managing flair-ups
Week 5 - Breathing & movement
Week 6 - Q&A
- Wear loose-fitting or stretchy clothes that are comfortable and allow you to move easily.
- Yoga is usually practiced barefoot but some people prefer to wear (grippy) socks.
- Bring a drink and a snack in case you're hungry after the session.
- We provide yoga mats but you're welcome to bring your own if you like.